Friday, November 12, 2010

Corn Bread

One of my favorite foods has to Corn bread. Warm from the oven with a slathering of butter it is something that puts a smile on my face. I can't imagine having a bowl of beans with out it as a side or as alight dinner in in the form of "crumble"( broken up in to a glass of buttermilk). There are those who like their corn bread sweet and some prefer it spicy. I'm a firm believer that yellow corn meal produces the beat flavor regardless of where you find yourself in the sweet or savory debate.
Trying to find that perfect harmony between sweet and savoy is not nearly as difficult as trying to get the texture just right. I have had some that was so grainy it was like eating sand and on the other end so tender it wants to fall apart if you look at it to hard. I have played with corn bread  for recipes for a while until I got the textue just right, Moist,with a med crumb crispy on the edges, not to sweet just a tiny bit savory that can go sweet or be spiced to suit  your own taste buy adding chili powder or your favorite chili pepper, herbs like rosemary or cheese. Don't be afraid to twist it a little. Enjoy!


Prep time: 6 min                           Cook time: 30 min


Tools: 8x8 " glass baking dish


Ingredients:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1tbl sugar (add 2 tbl total if you like it sweet)
2  lg eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk


Directions:

Grease the 8x8" baking dish and set aside, preheat your oven to 400 ยบ F.

In a medium mixing bowl measure out all the dry ingredients stir to combine and form a well in the center
In  a 2 cup measuring cup beat two lg eggs with the 1/2 cup oil stir in the milk









Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix together until you can not see and dry remaining. the batter will have some lumps and that is ok, It is important not to over mix.
Pour the batter immediately into the prepared baking dish and strait into the Preheated oven on the center rack. Bake 30 - 35 min until a wooden skewer  inserted in the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Craig, Another great food. Man I love cornbread. I think I like it better than biscuits. Well maybe both have there place in my heart. I sometime like to jazz up my cornbread, with Chicharrones. Bill

    ReplyDelete